Personal Injury Attorney Woonsocket – Marasco & Nesselbush
If you or a family member have recently sustained damage and injuries as a result of negligent or reckless action of another party in Woonsocket, you need to be aware that your rights as the injured party are protected by the law. These rights mean that you may be in a position to pursue financial compensation for the physical injury and other types of damages you experienced. In order to do so, you need to file a personal injury claim with the insurance company of the party responsible for the accident or mishap that caused the damage. This will initiate a legal process in which you will need to effectively prove the fault of the person whose behavior caused or contributed to your injuries. By doing so, you will be able to obtain financial compensation for your losses.
How Can an Attorney help?
Even though the workings of a personal injury claim may look like a straightforward process at first glance, what happens in between the initial filing a claim to the end result, hopefully obtaining compensation is not always an easy process to manage or navigate. If you want your claim to be successful, you will need the help of an attorney specialized in personal injury law. Your attorney will make sure that your claim complies with all the pertaining rules and regulations that, to an inexperienced person, may seem complex or even intimidating. He or she will also be your personal representative who will make sure that your interests are presented and defended in the best possible way.
Why Work With Marasco & Nesselbush?
Our Woonsocket personal injury attorneys feel for our neighbors who have fallen victim to negligence or recklessness of another person, a group, or organization. We would like to help you in this trying time and make sure that you’re able to focus on your physical and emotional recovery. We have helped hundreds of Woonsocket residents on their road to recovery, ensuring that justice was served and that their injuries were properly compensated for. We can promise you that from the start we will treat your case with full commitment and personal interest. We view it as an honor to represent our fellow citizens. We know that our clients put the highest trust in us and we vow to do everything we can to bring each personal injury claim to a successful conclusion.
Do I Have a Claim?
Personal injury claims can be filed if a person sustained injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness. Negligence means that the at-fault party failed to exercise the level of care and caution that they could be reasonably expected to. Recklessness is a more serious type of conduct that describes somebody engaging in behavior that is likely to cause harm with the full knowledge of the potential dangerous consequences to others.
If you were involved in an accident caused by negligence or recklessness of a third party – be it a car driver, a building manager, or a medical doctor, or anyone else, – you may have a valid basis for filing a personal injury claim. However, personal injury scenarios vary widely and each case needs to be carefully analyzed by an experienced lawyer before a claim can be filed. Thankfully, a consultation with our personal injury attorneys in Woonsocket is free. If you think you might have a claim but are unsure how to proceed, do not hesitate to contact us!
How Much is My Claim Worth?
No attorney can predict how much money you might be awarded in compensation before thoroughly investigating all the details of your case. In general terms, however, the amount of potential compensation will be related to the damages that you have sustained – physical, emotional, and financial. A personal injury claim may seek compensation for the following types of loss:
- Medical expenses – You have likely undergone costly medical treatment as a result of your injuries. You may also need further medical attention in the future. All these costs can be reimbursed by a personal injury damages award.
- Lost income – If the damage resulted in a temporary inability to work, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. Depending on the scope and seriousness of your injuries, these may include the income that you have already lost as well as wages you will not be able to earn in the future.
- Pain and suffering – you can be compensated for physical pain and suffering you have experienced right after the accident, during your recovery period, and any lingering pain that you are experiencing now as a result of the accident.
- Emotional distress – pain and suffering damages may also include compensation for emotional distress. Survivors of a serious accident may experience anxiety, sleep loss, or even post-traumatic stress disorder. You may be entitled to compensation if you are suffering from these and other forms of emotional distress.
- Property damage – apart from the damage to your physical and emotional health, properties such as your car, clothing, or other valuable personal items may have been damaged as well. You may seek reimbursement for the needed repairs or even the compensation of the fair market value of property that was damaged beyond repair.
Cases We Handle
Personal injury law provides a framework in which the rights of those who suffered damage and personal injury are protected. Specific cases and scenarios within that framework, however, vary widely – from car accidents to medical malpractice cases. It is important that your case is handled by a lawyer specialized in the kind of personal injury you have sustained. Our personal injury team in Woonsocket, is composed of seasoned lawyers with experience in handling different types of cases. Personal Injury Law can be divided into the following practice areas:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
To secure compensation in a personal injury case related to a motor vehicle accident, the injured party needs to prove the fault of the other driver or drivers, and present evidence of injuries sustained. Marasco & Nesselbush attorneys specialized in motor vehicle accident cases will help you to secure the best outcome by assisting you in collecting the evidence, making sense of the police and insurance reports as well as gathering and organizing the testimony of witnesses. Your attorney will help you arrange all of those pieces of evidence in order to build a strong claim. This will either make the at-fault party’s insurance company settle and pay out the compensation, or – if the insurer proves to be uncooperative – convince the jury that you deserve to be awarded money in damages.
The state of Rhode Island has one of the lowest traffic-related accident and fatality rates in the country but in recent years, a disturbing upward trend in that regard has been observed. For the past few years, the number of roadway fatalities have been rising and, according to preliminary data, the current year is not poised to break that trend. Apart from accidents involving deaths, many more incidents occur daily resulting in a damage and injuries of varying degree. The most common or pronounced causes of motor vehicle accidents in Woonsocket area include:
- Driving under influence – While the incidents of drunk driving in Rhode Island are not as common as in other states – the state was ranked 46th in drunk driving arrests – this shameful conduct is still a common cause of serious accidents and even deaths. According to the statistics provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, 308 people were killed in crashes involving a drunk driver in Rhode Island in the years 2003 – 2012. In addition, the percentage of adults who report drinking after driving too much in our state is 2.4% – higher than the national average of 1.9%.
- Road rage – earlier this year, Rhode Island media outlets reported that one person died in a car crash that was result of a road rage incident. A Woonsocket man was brought up on three charges including driving to endanger, resulting in death. Commenting on the incident, Colonel Ann Assumpcio, Superintendent of State Police and Director of the Department of Public Safety, said: “Aggressive driving and road rage pose a deadly risk to every motorist in Rhode Island. We take this threat very seriously, and we will remain vigilant in the prosecution of any driver who puts others at risk”.
- Distracted driving – the use of mobile devices while driving is an ever-growing concern. Nationwide, 3,477 fatalities and about 391,000 injuries were reported in 2015 due to distracted driving accidents. In the state of Rhode Island, where cell phone use while driving has been recently completely banned, state troopers handed twice as many citations for distracted driving in 2016 as in the previous year.
- Drowsy driving – on a national level, 1 in 5 accidents are caused by drowsy driving with 1,550 estimated fatalities each year. The group that is most likely to be involved in such accidents are young drivers between the ages of 16 – 24.
The accident causes mentioned above are likely related to extensive injuries, property damage, and even death. However, other accidents that result in lesser injuries and damage can likewise become a basis for filing a personal injury claim. Such accidents are often caused by:
- failure to obey traffic laws
- failure to signal when turning or improper turns
- unsafe lane changes
- failure to exercise caution appropriate for the driving conditions
Even though technically speaking motorcycle accidents can be viewed as a subcategory of motor vehicle accidents, their circumstances and pertaining details are often very different. Thus, the help of an attorney with experience in this particular area of personal injury is usually required.
Motorcycle riders lack the protection that a car provides, so injuries they can sustain in an accident are usually much more extensive and serious. As a result, victims often need prolonged hospitalization and rehabilitation which not only makes the recovery period longer but also entails greater expense. This, in turn, can mean that a personal injury claim for damages sustained by a motorcycle rider can have more value. More resistance from the at-fault party’s insurance company can be expected as well. Marasco & Nesselbush personal injury attorney specialized in motorcycle accidents will help you if you have sustained injuries because of a careless and negligent driver.
Tractor-trailer truck accidents are another subcategory of motor vehicle accidents that require a distinct approach and the assistance of an attorney experienced in handling similar cases. If you or a loved was injured in an accident involving a large truck, the claim will usually be filed against the trucking company rather than the driver. Large-scale defendants such as trucking companies usually have more resources and sometimes can aggressively resist the claim and try to evade responsibility.
Often, more than one responsible party can be identified and the claim can seek to prove the fault of equipment manufacturers or even government entities. Our truck accident lawyers will help determine where the liability lies in your case and are prepared to passionately represent your interest against big players.
Each patient has the right to receive medical care of the highest standard. If you have experienced damage to your health as a result of a wrong diagnosis, unsuitable medication, unnecessary or incorrect surgery, or other instance of substandard care, than you may be in a position to claim financial compensation from the health care institution involved.
Nursing home abuse can sometimes fall under the medical malpractice category. Examples of substandard care in a nursing home that can merit a medical malpractice claim include unsanitary conditions, unqualified staff, prescription drug misapplications, failure to attend to a resident’s medical issue, or malnourishment and dehydration.
Medical malpractice cases can be very technical and complicated. A careful examination of the facts and pertinent medical records needs to be made before a decision to pursue a claim is made. Nevertheless, Marasco & Nesselbush medical malpractice attorneys have an excellent record of success in this area of the law and will not shy away from representing victims of substandard medical care even if the case seems complicated.
Workers Compensation and SSDI
Workers compensation is a type of insurance which covers many different accidents and injuries that can be sustained by workers either at their place of employment or while performing work-related duties. Compensation may include the costs of medical treatment as well as lost wages. The employer is required by law to have this kind of insurance and to pay out the compensation if an accident happens. If your Woonsocket-based employer is uncooperative and your attempts to convince them to pay out the compensation have failed, it is time to contact Marasco & Nesselbush attorneys.
SSDI, or social security disability insurance, is a program of monthly benefits that you may apply for if you have become unable to work before your retirement age as a result of disability. In order to qualify for SSDI, you need to have paid into Social Security a certain number of years. Because the majority of SSDI claims are rejected at the initial levels and are resolved in a hearing, you will need the assistance of an attorney to build a strong case and to prepare for presenting your claim before a judge. An attorney with knowledge of the Social Security benefits application process will increase your chance of securing disability insurance payouts.
Don’t Worry About Cost
When weighing the decision whether or not to hire a law firm to represent your case, potential costs may be one of your primary concerns. Marasco & Nesselbush personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means you should not worry about the cost because you will only pay us if we secure compensation for you.