I've felt comfortable and have built trust with them. They work hard and it shows. I am super thankful to have worked with them.
Spinal Cord Injuries Lawyer
A serious injury to the spinal cord can permanently alter a person’s quality of life. Spinal cord injuries cause problems ranging from chronic pain that reduces mobility, to paralysis, which is a loss of function affecting limbs and body systems.Contact for a free consultation
The personal injury attorneys at Marasco & Nesselbush, LLP, in Rhode Island work with back injury and paralysis victims and their families to help them obtain compensation from the parties responsible for causing their catastrophic injuries.
Our firm has helped many people resolve claims after a spinal injury or paralysis. Learn more about our case results, such as:
- $350,000 Recovery – Recovered on behalf of a client injured in a rear-end automobile collision. Our client sustained a significant spinal injury which required spinal fusion surgery.
- Confidential settlement – Recovered on behalf of patient who sustained a spinal cord injury due to the negligent administration of anesthesia.
To find out how we can help you with your legal claim, call us now or contact us online.
About Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury results from direct trauma to the spinal cord itself or the bones (vertebrae), soft tissues and vessels surrounding the spinal cord.
A back injury that directly damages the spinal cord can cause:
- Loss of sensation or function (paralysis).
- Bowel and bladder dysfunction.
- Sexual dysfunction.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Inability to effectively regulate blood pressure.
Injuries Causing Paralysis
A high spinal cord injury causes varying degrees of paralysis of the arms, trunk and legs, as well as in chest and pelvic organs. This is called tetraplegia or quadriplegia. A lower injury might cause paraplegia, the loss of function in all or part of the legs and pelvic organs.
Trauma to the cushioning disks between the vertebrae can make them swell to the point that they irritate the spinal cord or adjacent nerves. This is known as a herniated, slipped or ruptured disk.
Herniated disks cause pain, numbness and weakness in the arms or legs, depending on where they occur along the spine. The chronic back pain from a herniated disk can reduce the victim’s ability to move and work.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Vehicle accidents, including crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, all-terrain vehicles, aircraft, boats and snowmobiles.
- Falls, including falls to the same level (slipping, tripping and stumbling), falls from or out of a building or structure, falls on stairs or steps, falls from a ladder or scaffolding, falls from a bed, chair or other furniture and falls because of ice and snow.
- Assault, including gunshots, stabbing, assault with a blunt object or being pushed down.
- Sports and recreation, including diving into shallow water, winter sports (sledding, skiing, snow tubing, snowboarding, ice hockey), surfing, horseback riding, football, wrestling, parachuting, parasailing and gymnastics.
- Medical and surgical complications.
- Being hit by falling or flying objects.
- Pedestrians hit by cars, trucks, motorcycles and bicycles.
The NSCISC says the lifetime medical and living costs for a spinal cord injury with “incomplete motor function at any level” can be expected to be at least $1.09 million for a 50-year-old patient or more than $1.5 million for 25-year-old. A 50-year-old patient with high tetraplegia can expect lifetime costs of more than $2.5 million. A 25-year-old who suffers a high spinal cord injury causing tetraplegia will need at least $4.6 million for medical and living expenses.
These figures do not include indirect costs, such as lost wages, fringe benefits and productivity, the NSCISC says. They also do not consider pain and suffering, lost enjoyment of life and other emotional damages.
"I am a motor vehicle versus pedestrian, accident survivor. Although struck in a crosswalk outside my clinic. As a physician, I’ve had to deal and negotiate with insurance companies in the healthcare arena my entire career. Consequently, I felt that legal counseling would be the safest and most prudent way to approach this unfortunate circumstance. Having researched the numerous legal offices on the internet, Marasco and Nesselbush had a very strong and positive presence, and I must sincerely and wholeheartedly agree.
The Firm, and my M&N attorney, represented me in the most professional and experienced manner, and with ethics of the highest standards, during a significantly emotional time in my life. My M&N attorney was knowledgeable and compassionate about my case and situation. He came to my home the very day I contacted his law firm, thoroughly explained every detail clearly and distinctly, and honestly answered all of my questions. He was genuine, personal, reliable, and patient, offering not only professional support and responsible legal counsel, but also friendship and guidance during a difficult time and situation in my life. He and his staff have earned my deepest trust and respect. I wholeheartedly recommend Marasco and Nesselbush."
- Dr. P
I love this law firm! My lawyer was compassionate, kind and understanding during a very difficult time.
They have been absolutely wonderful throughout my case-with a mix of professionalism and friendship all in one.
Legal Assistance with a Spinal Injury and Paralysis Claim
The personal injury attorneys at Marasco & Nesselbush in Rhode Island seek compensation for victims of catastrophic injuries, such as those that result in spinal cord damage and paralysis.
We can help you obtain financial security if you are dealing with the aftermath of a serious spinal injury suffered in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. We are prepared to work for an insurance settlement or verdict that provides the compensation you need for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and other damages.
Call us now or fill out our contact form for a free consultation and claim review with no strings attached.