Rhode Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Riding motorcycles offers a sense of freedom and enjoyment that is different from that of driving any other vehicle, but motorcycle accidents often result in devastating injury to riders and passengers. The Providence personal injury attorneys at Marasco & Nesselbush are committed to seeking compensation for motorcyclists injured by the negligent or reckless actions of others, and are dedicated to making sure that motorcycle accident victims have sufficient resources to recover from their devastating injuries.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists in Rhode Island
Southern New England is a great place to ride a motorcycle. Motorcyclists can find enjoyment from the bustling city streets of Providence to scenic roads in the New England Upland and Seaboard Lowland regions. Follow these cautionary guidelines and adhere to Rhode Island traffic laws to ensure the ride is both fun and safe:
- Ride in groups of five to seven motorcyclists but remember Rhode Island law prohibits lane splitting
- Anticipate the actions of other motorists and keep your distance from neighboring drivers while on the road
- Utilize proper signals
- Stand out by wearing brightly colored clothing such as a reflective safety vest
- Wear eye protection such as goggles, which is required under RI motorcycle law
- Use a helmet; Motorcycle laws in Rhode Island require the use of a helmet for riders under 21 and also new riders
Understanding Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are far more likely to die or be injured in accidents than the occupants of passenger cars. In fact:
- Motorcyclists were 39 times more likely to die in motor vehicle accidents per mile than passenger car occupants
- Motorcyclists were eight times more likely to be injured in wrecks
- 4,502 motorcyclists died in the United States as a result of motor vehicle crashes in 2010
- In 2009, about 106,000 motorcycles were involved in crashes, and 90,000 motorcyclists were injured in wrecks
Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcyclists are often unfairly blamed for the accidents in which they are involved. However, many motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers who neglect to notice or accommodate motorcycles.
When a driver does not properly check their mirrors and blind spots when turning or changing lanes, they can put a motorcyclist at risk. Because of a motorcycle’s small size, it can be invisible to inattentive drivers. Other causes of motorcycle accidents include other drivers who are:
- Ignoring traffic laws;
- Not obeying signals and rights-of-way;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs;
- Changing lanes;
- Turning without signaling;
- Driving while distracted;
- Driving while fatigued or drowsy; or
- Operating in hazardous conditions (such as ice or snow, fog, heavy rain, or darkness).
Even a small bump from a passing vehicle is enough to send a motorcycle and its rider crashing to the pavement at high speeds. While motorcyclists are responsible for operating their vehicles safely and obeying the laws, other drivers are obligated to look out for motorcyclists, as well.
Severity of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists inherently face greater risks of devastating injuries following accidents than do car occupants, due to their lack of surrounding protection. When a motorcycle collides with a car, or large truck, road hazard, or even another motorcycle, the rider’s body often suffers a direct impact. Instead of being safely contained in a vehicle, protected by an air bag, or restrained by a seat belt, a motorcyclist can easily be thrown from the vehicle, into an object, or onto the ground, with tremendous force.
In addition, when another vehicle strikes a motorcycle, it may directly hit the motorcyclist’s body. Such strikes can cause crushing injuries, and forcefully impact a rider’s bones and organs. Even when wearing a helmet, a motorcyclist injured in an accident can suffer traumatic brain injury(TBI), broken bones, and damage to any and all body parts.
Dedicated Providence Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Serious motorcycle accident injuries not only dramatically impact a person’s ability to function, but often also result in steep medical bills for treatment and rehabilitation. Insurance companies can be difficult to work with, and will attempt to pay as little compensation as possible for an injured motorcyclist’s valid accident claim. To obtain the best results, it is important to work with experienced motorcycle accident attorneys.
The Providence motorcycle accident wrongful death attorneys at Marasco & Nesselbush are dedicated to successfully resolving our clients’ motorcycle accident injury cases. Our personal injury attorneys will work to achieve full and fair compensation for motorcycle accident injuries, and for wrongful death. Although we cannot undo the damage or loss suffered from motorcycle accidents, we can work diligently to make sure that injured parties and their families recover without suffering unnecessary financial distress. For more information on how we can help, or to request a free, confidential motorcycle accident case evaluation, please fill out a web contact form or call 855-505-1092.
What Our Clients Say About Us:
“I was given excellent services as well as additional resources to assist me with my present challenges. Thank you! Very pleased with the courtesy and knowledge of the attorneys. Attorney Marasco took time out of his day to speak with me about a continuing personal injury case.” – Gail