RHODE ISLAND MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWYER
Holding accountable those responsible for medical negligence is crucial. The top-rated Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyers at Marasco & Nesselbush have the legal knowledge and skill necessary to protect you and the people you care about while pursuing the greatest amount of compensation.
Jury verdict for a client whose lifelong disabilities were caused by medical negligence.
Recovered for the estate of a woman who passed as a result of surgical negligence.
Recovered for a family of an infant who died as a result of medical negligence.
to the family of a woman who died as a result of negligent monitoring in a local hospital.
NAVIGATE THIS PAGE
Medical malpractice results in 100,000 preventable deaths each year. Rhode Island ranks eighth in the United States in terms of malpractice claims per capita. Each day, physicians must use their best judgment to make urgent decisions, often with limited information. In some instances, those decisions result in unfavorable outcomes. The Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyers at Marasco & Nesselbush, LLP have the knowledge, experience, and resources to hold negligent healthcare providers accountable for medical mistakes.
Health care providers are expected to adhere to a set of accepted professional standards. When health care facilities and medical professionals fail to adhere to those standards, negligence and medical malpractice results may occur. Victims of medical malpractice or survivors of victims deserve to receive fair compensation for the harm they sustain.
With the right skills, dedication, and experience, a Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyer can hold hospitals, health care providers, and physicians accountable for their negligence.
REPRESENTING RHODE ISLANDERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED MEDICAL MALPRACTICE
We have more than two decades of experience in successfully helping wrongfully injured individuals achieve maximum compensation. Our efficacy as experienced medical malpractice attorneys in Rhode Island is evidenced by our results achieved on behalf of our clients:
- $7,270,000 jury verdict for a client who suffered lifelong disabilities as a result of medical negligence
- $5.1 million awarded in the wrongful death of a woman as a result of surgical negligence
- $3 million recovered for the wrongful death of an infant who died due to medical negligence
- $1 million settlement for a cancer survivor who was a victim of medical malpractice
- $900,000 recovered for a victim of obstetrical medical negligence that resulted in infertility
WHAT IS MEDICAL MALPRACTICE?
According to the National Library of Medicine, medical malpractice occurs when a health care provider deviates from accepted standards of medical care. This can occur during the course of treatment or through a lack of treatment and can result in injury or even death.
To have a valid medical malpractice claim, your attorney must show that a violation of acceptable standards of care occurred and resulted in your injury. Furthermore, you must be able to prove that your injury subsequently led to measurable losses.
HOW DOES MEDICAL MALPRACTICE OCCUR?
Medical malpractice may occur during the course of both routine and emergency medical procedures. It can occur as the result of a facility or health professional failing to provide care in a competent or appropriate manner.
Our law firm handles medical malpractice in practically every practice area, including:
WHO CAN BE HELD LIABLE IN A MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWSUIT?
When searching for a Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyer, you may wonder who can be held liable when medical malpractice occurs. Individuals who have suffered harm as a result of medical malpractice should be aware that any health care provider who has violated a duty of care that contributed to the injuries sustained may bear liability.
Health care providers who may be held liable in a medical malpractice lawsuit may include:
- Long-term care facilities
- Blood centers
- Home health entities
- Health clinics
- Nurse Practitioners
Additionally, any other health care facility, entity, clinician, or practitioner who violated their duty of care may be held liable for the injuries sustained if their actions caused your or your loved one’s injury or death.
WHAT DAMAGES CAN I RECOVER FROM A MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWSUIT?
The amount of compensation a medical malpractice attorney in Rhode Island may be able to recover for a client is specific to the details of each individual case. Medical malpractice cases are complex. There is no specific settlement calculator or formula to determine the precise amount you may be able to recover.
The following factors influence how much compensation you may receive:
- The extent of injuries sustained: Injuries that result in permanent disabilities typically result in higher amounts of compensation as a result of the lifetime impacts suffered by the victims.
- Your earnings prior to sustaining the injury: Plaintiffs with higher incomes who have lost their earning capacities may receive higher compensations than individuals with lower earning levels.
- Your share of fault: In the event that you are partly at fault for your injuries, it is still possible to receive compensation, but the amount you receive may be diminished on a basis proportionate to your share of fault.
- The quality of your legal representation: The quality of your representation in a medical malpractice case also affects the amount of compensation you may receive. An experienced legal team is essential to a successful medical malpractice case.
The types of compensation for which you are eligible may also impact the amount of compensation you receive. You may be eligible for economic, non-economic, and punitive damages.
- Economic Damages: Economic damages are designed to provide compensation for expenses incurred due to the harm you suffered as a result of medical malpractice. This could include medical bills and other expenses, such as future medical expenses and rehabilitative care.
- Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic compensation provides remuneration for the mental and physical anguish suffered by victims of medical malpractice. This form of compensation may also extend to the loss of future earning potential and the loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are awarded in rare medical malpractice cases. The goal of such damages is to specifically punish medical professionals who have intentionally or knowingly violated accepted standards of care. Punitive damages provide victims with additional compensation and serve as an example to deter similar behavior by medical professionals and medical entities in the future.
Medical malpractice lawsuits in Rhode Island require the skill of a lawyer who understands the fields of both law and medicine. Our firm has a solid understanding of numerous medical conditions. Additionally, we can navigate even the most complex medical cases and records.
With our experience and expertise, we also know which medical experts to consult to establish your case. When searching for a medical malpractice attorney in Rhode Island, you need to look for an attorney with the ability to anticipate the strategies the defendant’s attorney may use. You can count on our team to do precisely that.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO FILE A MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWSUIT IN RHODE ISLAND?
Time limits apply to filing a medical malpractice lawsuit in Rhode Island. The statute of limitations in Rhode Island for medical malpractice cases is three years from the date of the injury or from the date the injury should have become reasonably known.
For this reason, it is imperative that you contact an experienced Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyer as quickly as possible. This will allow sufficient time to build a successful case.
CONTACT THE RHODE ISLAND MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWYERS AT MARASCO & NESSELBUSH TODAY
Medical malpractice and negligence have become increasingly common in the last few years. According to a Johns Hopkins study, medical errors result in around 250,000 deaths each year, 100,000 of which were preventable.
If you think that you or someone close to you may have been the victim of medical negligence, we are here to help. Our team strives for nothing less than stellar results for each client. We attribute our success to our commitment to hard work, honesty, integrity, and skill. Contact our RI medical malpractice attorneys today for a free consultation.
DO I HAVE A CASE?
If you think you may have a medical malpractice case, contact us now for a FREE consultation