Rhode Island Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
When a loved one suffers abuse in a nursing home, family members struggle with where to turn next. Nursing home abuse often leads to poor health outcomes, including an increased risk of death. A Rhode Island nursing home abuse lawyer at Marasco & Nesselbush can help you and your loved one pursue compensation for losses caused by nursing home abuse, including medical costs and pain and suffering.
Nursing Home Neglect
Many patients move into a nursing home or assisted living facility to receive a higher standard of care than they can get in their homes. This move should protect their quality of life and offer access to quality medical care and skilled nursing support.
Nursing homes in Rhode Island have a legal duty to provide the goods and services necessary to protect the health and welfare of seniors under their care. When caregivers fail to provide the standard of care their patients need, it constitutes nursing home neglect.
Physical abuse occurs any time a caregiver physically harms a patient. It includes hitting, grabbing, pinching, or other actions that cause harm to patients.
Emotional abuse encompasses verbal and nonverbal actions that cause a nursing home resident to experience emotional pain, fear, or distress. It includes bullying, threats of harm, refusing access to family members, humiliation, or otherwise manipulating the patient’s emotions.
Any type of unwanted sexual contact, including contact with the genitals, breasts, or anal area, falls into the category of sexual abuse. Sexual abuse also includes unwanted sexual attention.
When caregivers take financial advantage of seniors, they have committed financial abuse. Financial abuse can range from a caretaker stealing funds or property or manipulating a senior into giving the caretaker money or property.
Causes Of Nursing Home Abuse In Rhode Island
Nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse occur for several reasons. Some of the risk factors to be aware of if you have a loved one in a nursing home include the following:
- Poor supervision
- Inadequate staff experience or training
- Poor hiring practices
- Underpaid staff
Some caregivers may have personal issues that increase the risk of abuse and neglect of the seniors in their care. An experienced elder abuse lawyer in Rhode Island can determine whether abuse has occurred and identify all of the parties that might be responsible for your loved one’s losses.
Rhode Island Nursing Home Laws And Regulations
- Residents must receive at least 3.81 direct hours of care per resident per day.
- Residents must receive at least 68 percent of their direct nursing care from a nursing assistant.
- Rhode Island nursing homes must have safe patient-handling programs and committees to ensure the safety of all their patients and caregivers.
- Nursing homes licensed by the state must receive regular inspections, including inspections conducted without notice.
- Caregivers must report elder abuse in nursing homes within 24 hours of receiving any information indicating abuse or neglect.
Failure to adhere to these regulations can cause the nursing home to lose its license and ability to care for patients.
Signs Of Nursing Home Abuse
If your loved one is a nursing home resident, you should visit regularly to ensure they are being treated well and look for signs of abuse. Look out for these key signs of elder abuse and neglect:
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Untreated injuries or illnesses
- Conditions that were previously managed well suddenly getting out of control
- Frequent injuries, including head injuries or injuries without an explanation
- Bed sores
- Poor hygiene
- Dirty or torn clothing
- Untidy or dirty rooms
- Listlessness, depression, or fatigue
- Increased wandering or elopement from the nursing home
- Obvious fear of one or more caregivers
- Refusal to receive care from specific caregivers
- Sudden changes in their financial affairs
- Sudden changes in mood or behavior
If you suspect your loved one has suffered nursing home abuse, contact the elder abuse lawyers at Marasco & Nesselbush as soon as possible to discuss your family’s rights. An experienced lawyer can also explain how to report nursing home abuse and help you at every stage of the process.
Compensation In Rhode Island Nursing Home Abuse Cases
If you or a loved one suffered losses from nursing home abuse or neglect, you can seek compensation.
Compensation can include the following:
- Medical costs
- Costs to move to a new nursing home, especially in cases in which the patient needs a higher standard of care due to the abuse
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Nursing Home Wrongful Death Cases
If your loved one dies because of nursing home abuse, you may have the right to recover compensation for funeral and burial expenses and the loss of your loved one’s presence. An elder abuse lawyer at Marasco & Nesselbush can investigate the damages your loved one sustained and explain the compensation you can recover for nursing home wrongful death or abuse claims.
Contact Marasco & Nesselbush For Help With Your Nursing Home Abuse Claim
Elders deserve care and support throughout their final years. When nursing homes fail to provide the required level of care, it can decrease lifespans and lead to considerable suffering. At Marasco & Nesselbush, our Rhode Island nursing home abuse lawyers are dedicated to holding negligent nursing homes and assisted living facilities and their staff members liable for the damages caused by their neglect and abuse.
To learn more about your legal options following nursing home abuse, contact us at (401) 443-2999 for a free consultation. With offices in Warwick, Wakefield, Woonsocket, and Providence, we are prepared to help clients throughout Rhode Island seek the assistance their loved ones need.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuits in Rhode Island?
What Legal Rights Do Rhode Island Nursing Home Residents Have?
Nursing home residents have the right to the following:
- Be free of abuse and neglect
- Receive respect and needed care
- Participate in programs
- Avoid discrimination
- Avoid restraints for discipline purposes
- Get needed medical care
- Have family members or other representatives notified about problems and health challenges
- Report any problems with the nursing home or file a complaint if needed
Carefully choosing a nursing home can help protect your loved one’s rights.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Rhode Island?
At Marasco & Nesselbush, we take nursing home abuse cases on a contingent fee basis. That means you do not have to pay fees upfront. Instead, if we successfully resolve your claim, we receive a percentage of the compensation you receive.
How Long Does a Nursing Home Abuse Case Take to Settle?
Nursing home abuse cases often take months or more to reach a settlement agreement. You can expect:
- An investigation period, during which your lawyer and the nursing home’s insurance company investigate the allegations of abuse
- A negotiation period with the insurance company to work towards an agreement on the compensation you deserve
- A lawsuit when you cannot reach an agreement through negotiation
The Rhode Island nursing home abuse lawyers at Marasco & Nesselbush can provide you with more information about the complexity of your claim and how long it may take to pursue compensation.