Warwick Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Though riding the Rhode Island roads can give you a wonderful sense of freedom, things can abruptly change on the busy streets and highways of Warwick. Being in a motorcycle accident can be very traumatic and chaotic and result in serious injuries to operators and their passengers.
If you or a family member has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may have a basis for a personal injury lawsuit. When the worst happens–a motorcycle accident fatality–you may want to seek wrongful death compensation in a court of law. The Warwick motorcycle accident lawyers at Marasco & Nesselbush, LLP can help you assess your legal options and potential compensation available to you.
COMMON MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT TYPES
Motorcycle accidents are caused by a number of different scenarios but typically involve collisions with other vehicles, immovable objects like a cement barrier or parked car, or motorcycle overturns. Motorcyclists are often injured due to negligent actions of another driver. If the other driver involved in your motorcycle accident did any of the following you may be able to file a legal claim:
- Failed to yield the right of way
- Changed lanes in front of you
- Pulled out in front of you
- Rear-ended you
- Opened the car door as you approached
- Was speeding
Even if you feel you may be partially at fault for a motorcycle accident, it’s still important to talk to a Warwick motorcycle accident lawyer. Partial responsibility doesn’t mean you can’t collect compensation from another driver who acted negligently.
INJURIES SUFFERED IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
Motorcycle injuries can be severe because, unlike an enclosed motor vehicle, other than your helmet, there is no protection for the head of riders or passengers. In accidents, motorcyclists are often thrown from the bike, increasing the chance of serious injuries.
In 2020 there were approximately 78,000 motorcycle accidents resulting in injuries in the United States. Motorcyclists were four times more likely to suffer an injury than people in motor vehicles. Injuries incurred during motorcycle accidents run the gamut from minor to major.
In our practice we see the following types of injuries most often:
Burns, lacerations and permanent scarring
These injuries range from mild to moderate, but there is always the risk of more serious injuries and fatalities. Brain damage, paralysis, and internal organ damage can result from a catastrophic motorcycle accident.
- Brain injuries ranging from mild to concussion, to brain damage and possible coma
- Back and spinal cord injuries, paralysis
- Severing of limbs
- Internal organ damage or laceration
- Back injuries such as damaged spinal cord leading to paralysis
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT FATALITIES
If a family member passed away in an accident, our Warwick motorcycle accident lawyers can help you evaluate a wrongful death lawsuit and support you with compassion after the loss of a loved one.
WHAT TO DO AT THE SCENE OF A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you should immediately seek medical attention.
The emergency room at Kent Hospital is open 24/7. In more dire situations, Rhode Island Hospital offers the only level 1 trauma center in southeast New England. Diagnosing and treating your injuries quickly can make a difference in your health and ultimate outcome of your injuries.
Medical reports and procedures are also typically key pieces of evidence in negligence and wrongful death lawsuits.
Call the Warwick police to the scene of the crash and file a police report. If your injuries don’t prevent it, take pictures of the accident scene with your phone.
WHAT KIND OF FINANCIAL COMPENSATION CAN I EXPECT AFTER A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT?
After a motorcycle accident, our Warwick motorcycle accident attorneys will work hard to see that you are awarded the maximum compensation in a lawsuit. Though settlement and verdict amounts are difficult to estimate, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills for your injury treatment and rehabilitation
- Income lost from being unable to work due to your injuries
- Lost income due to the wrongful death of a family member
- Diminished future earning capacity from a permanent disability
- Property damage to your motorcycle
- Physical pain that you suffered as a result of your injuries
- Mental anguish that you or your family endured after an accident
WILL IT HURT MY CASE IF I WASN’T WEARING A MOTORCYCLE HELMET?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration notes that Rhode Island law requires persons under 21 years of age to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle. In addition, all motorcycle passengers and all motorcycle operators who have had a license less than one year must wear a “properly fitting” helmet approved by the state. Protective eyewear is also mandated for everyone operating a motorcycle.
MARASCO & NESSELBUSH, LLP, WARWICK MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYERS
The team of motorcycle accident lawyers at our firm are committed to assisting you with your case from start to finish. We have successfully secured significant financial awards and settlements for clients injured in motorcycle accidents. Our experienced attorneys will compassionately guide you through the lawsuit and handle all aspects of your case.
We will help you:
- Organize your medical documentation
- Assess the accident, your injuries, medical bills, lost wages and property damage to estimate total financial impact
- Contact and interview accident witnesses
- Handle communications and interactions with at-fault parties, insurance companies and their lawyers
- Present the at-fault party’s insurer with a demand letter
- File necessary documents with the court
- Negotiate a settlement for your approval
- Represent you in court and manage all phases of a trial