I've felt comfortable and have built trust with them. They work hard and it shows. I am super thankful to have worked with them.
What Are the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing home residents deserve the best care, and they deserve to be treated with kindness, courtesy and respect.Contact for a free consultation
Warning Signs of Neglect and Abuse in Nursing Homes
Elders often suffer in silence, warns the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration on Aging. The agency recommends that you should start to ask questions if you notice personality or behavior changes in a nursing home resident.
Some signs of nursing home abuse or neglect to watch for include the following:
- Depression, fearfulness, fatigue, changes in alertness or withdrawal from normal activities.
- Broken bones, burns, abrasions, pressure marks and bruises, including slap or restraint marks.
- Broken eyeglasses or frames.
- Bruises around the genital area or breasts or sexually transmitted disease (may indicate sexual abuse).
- Arguments between the elderly person and a caregiver or tense or strained relationships.
- Poor personal hygiene or torn or dirty clothing.
- Malnutrition, constant hunger, begging for food or unusual weight loss.
- Bed sores.
- Dirty or messy rooms.
- Nursing home facility in disrepair.
- Residents left unattended for long periods of time.
- Sudden changes to the elderly person’s will, accounts or finances.
- Not enough medical personnel or lack of medical and dental care.
- Failure to take medications regularly (when there is more medication remaining in a prescription than there should be).
- Any report of a drug overdose.
- Caregiver’s refusal to allow visiting with the elderly person alone.
What You Can Do to Help Prevent Abuse of Nursing Home Patients
Abuse can occur in both physical and emotional forms. Not only should you observe your elderly loved one for signs of neglect or injury, but also be attuned to his or her emotional state and general well being. Although dementia may be a factor in some cases, it is important to monitor the resident’s comfort level and be alert to any possible effects of verbal or emotional abuse.
Look at the patient’s medications and compare the amount in the container with the date of the prescription to monitor whether medications are being administered properly. Ask for the resident’s permission to scan bank account and credit card statements for any unauthorized transactions.
Be alert to signs of elder abuse or neglect. Call or visit as frequently as you can, and listen to the elderly person. It is important for nursing home residents to know that they can trust and confide in their family members.
Holding Negligent Nursing Homes and Staff Accountable
Our lawyers and staff are committed to providing every client with the personal attention and skilled legal representation they deserve. To learn more about how we can protect your loved one, please fill out the free case evaluation form on this page, or call us today for a free consultation. We have offices conveniently located in Warwick, Wakefield, Woonsocket, and Providence and are here to help you.
"I am a motor vehicle versus pedestrian, accident survivor. Although struck in a crosswalk outside my clinic. As a physician, I’ve had to deal and negotiate with insurance companies in the healthcare arena my entire career. Consequently, I felt that legal counseling would be the safest and most prudent way to approach this unfortunate circumstance. Having researched the numerous legal offices on the internet, Marasco and Nesselbush had a very strong and positive presence, and I must sincerely and wholeheartedly agree.
The Firm, and my M&N attorney, represented me in the most professional and experienced manner, and with ethics of the highest standards, during a significantly emotional time in my life. My M&N attorney was knowledgeable and compassionate about my case and situation. He came to my home the very day I contacted his law firm, thoroughly explained every detail clearly and distinctly, and honestly answered all of my questions. He was genuine, personal, reliable, and patient, offering not only professional support and responsible legal counsel, but also friendship and guidance during a difficult time and situation in my life. He and his staff have earned my deepest trust and respect. I wholeheartedly recommend Marasco and Nesselbush."
- Dr. P
I love this law firm! My lawyer was compassionate, kind and understanding during a very difficult time.
They have been absolutely wonderful throughout my case-with a mix of professionalism and friendship all in one.