Providence, RI Wrongful Death Lawyers
Few things are as devastating as the loss of a family member. Was your loved one’s death preventable? You may long for justice and be wondering what you can do. In Providence, you can find help at Rhode Island’s trusted injury law firm.
Attorneys Joseph Marasco and Donna Nesselbush joined forces in 1999 to defend the rights of wrongful death victims and their families. Since then, these devoted wrongful death attorneys have fought to hold responsible parties responsible for negligent and malicious actions.
Getting legal advice from a wrongful death lawyer is a wise first step. Call Marasco & Nesselbush local law office today at (401) 443-2999 for a free consultation with a member of our personal injury team.
Understand Rhode Island Wrongful Death Practice Areas
A lawsuit based on someone’s negligence or wrongdoing starts with a personal injury claim. If the injured person dies, attorneys may file a wrongful death claim on your behalf. Getting legal representation will strengthen your claim so that you may receive proper compensation for your loss.
As one of Rhode Island’s most experienced law firms, we are poised to use our expertise for a wide range of wrongful death cases.
Medical malpractice and nursing home abuse
Doctors, nurses, and other caregivers must be experienced and skilled. They must treat patients with the medical standard of care set by the State of Rhode Island and other governing organizations.
At times, birth injuries and surgical errors result in loss of life. Nursing home abuse and neglect are inexcusable.
Doctors and medical staff must go through rigorous training in order to be completely trusted in the care of patients. Feeling shocked and angry that the ones who were supposed to care failed in their duty is understandable. If you suspect that abuse or neglect contributed to the loss of your loved one, you should contact a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible.
Property owners must follow Rhode Island premises liability laws. They should keep their premises as safe as possible for those who legally enter the property. Lawyers pursue wrongful death claims when accidents are caused by property conditions.
Motor vehicle accidents
Most trips on Rhode Island roads and highways finish well. An unfortunate few end in disaster. If your loved one died in a car accident, you might wonder what happened. Marasco & Nesselbush Law Offices’ wrongful death attorneys can investigate to determine whether negligent or reckless acts were behind the car accident.
Negligent or reckless acts may include:
- Alcohol-impaired driving (DUI/DWI): In Rhode Island, it’s illegal to have a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or higher while operating a car or passenger truck. The limit for commercial vehicle drivers is 0.04.
- Drug-impaired driving: Of course, drivers should not be under the influence of illegal drugs or marijuana. Yet, even prescription and over-the-counter medication can affect drivers.
- Distracted driving: Rhode Island law prohibits motorists from using hand-held communication devices or headphones. Anything that takes a driver’s attention from the road can become a distraction.
- Drowsy driving: Fatigue increases the likelihood of a car accident.
These driving behaviors pose danger to pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists. Would you like to know how Rhode Island wrongful death claims can help you pursue justice for your loss? Schedule a free case review with our law firm to find the answer.
Pursue Compensation for Rhode Island Wrongful Death Claims
No amount of money could ever make up for the pain and suffering of losing someone you love. Yet, your deceased relative would likely want to ensure your family’s financial needs are met.
In Rhode Island wrongful death claims, financial compensation for losses is called damages. Common damages pursued by Providence wrongful death attorneys are:
- Medical expenses: Hospital bills, emergency transport, surgeries, and other reasonable medical bills
- Lost wages: Wages from missed days of work and the loss of future earnings by the deceased
- Burial costs: Funeral expenses, cremation, or burial fees
- Pain and suffering: Physical pain, emotional stress, and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium or companionship: The loss of a family relationship
- Punitive damages: Financial compensation awarded to punish intentional wrongdoing and gross negligence
Pursuing damages allows responsible parties to acknowledge the loss they caused. Wrongful death claims also discourage others from committing negligent acts. Marasco & Nesselbush are dedicated to providing our Providence, RI, clients exceptional legal representation.
The Elements of a Wrongful Death Claim
To qualify for compensation under Rhode Island law, a wrongful death claim must meet certain requirements.
Duty refers to the responsibility that people have toward each other, even legally. As you continue reading, you will learn about some specific responsibilities that property owners, medical professionals, and caregivers are legally bound to carry out to the best of their abilities.
Capable attorneys can help you determine the duty an individual, nursing home, or hospital had to your loved one. We are here to help answer your questions. Contact us at (401) 443-2999 to find who might be responsible for your loved one’s death.
Negligence or malicious wrongdoing
A wrongful death lawyer can identify the person or entity that had some responsibility toward the death of your loved one. Next, he or she can investigate to determine whether the person breached his or her duty.
For example, if a driver injures or kills someone, a personal injury lawyer could look for evidence of negligent or reckless behaviors. If there is sufficient evidence, the attorney could file a wrongful death claim to hold the driver liable.
- Who is eligible: The estate of the deceased or surviving immediate family members (i.e. spouse, children, parents) and dependents have the right to make wrongful death claims.
- When you should act: Contact a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. In Rhode Island, the estate has a set amount of time to pursue wrongful death cases. Once that time is up, family members are allowed to make claims for another set period.
- Where to contact a wrongful death attorney: Marasco & Nesselbush Law Offices are found in many areas of Rhode Island, including Providence, Wakefield, Warwick, and Woonsocket. Please fill out our contact form, and a member of our team will direct you to the law firm location closest to you.
Why You Should Contact a Providence Wrongful Death Lawyer as Soon as Possible
In Rhode Island, you have limited time to pursue damages, including medical bills and funeral costs, for wrongful death claims. Call Marasco & Nesselbush to find out what can be done to meet your deadlines.