On September 28, 2018, the Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island, or BIARI, will host a gala celebrating the organization’s 35th anniversary. Marasco & Nesselbush is proud to be a sponsor of BIARI’s gala and encourages everyone to support the organization’s cause by attending tomorrow’s event or otherwise supporting BIARI’s cause.
The Devastating Effects of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Each year, thousands of Rhode Island residents suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI). In 2014 alone, 11,368 people were treated at emergency rooms around the state for a TBI. An additional 732 residents suffered a brain injury severe enough to warrant hospitalization.
TBIs can occur in nearly any form of accident, from car accidents and work injuries to slip-and-fall accidents and even assault. These injuries are separated into three categories based on how long a person was unconscious following the injury.
- Mild TBIs result in only a brief period of unconsciousness, usually ranging from a few seconds to several minutes. Effects of a Mild TBI can include headache, nausea, confusion, and inability to concentrate.
- Moderate TBIs can cause unconsciousness lasting from an hour to an entire day and can cause severe confusion, depression, and physical effects such as loss of vision, difficulty hearing, and problems communicating.
- Severe TBIs can lead a person to lose consciousness for over 24 hours and can have lifelong side effects such as an inability to process information, problems understanding language, paralysis, and emotional instability.
What is BIARI?
Recognizing the devastating impact that a TBI can have both on a victim and his or her family, coupled with the lack of resources for those who are affected by a TBI, the Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island was founded in 1983. Since its creation, BIARI’s mission has been raising awareness of TBIs and providing information and resources to TBI survivors and their families. Additional information about the Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island can be found at the association’s website.
BIARI’s Hidden Treasure Gala
This year, BIARI is hosting a Hidden Treasure Gala to raise both funds and awareness for the impact of TBIs in Rhode Island. The dress code is formal cocktail dress, with evening gowns and suits or tuxedos encouraged. Doors to the event open at 6:00 in the evening of September 28, 2018. Key features of the gala include:
- A silent auction featuring dozens of items, from handcrafted jewelry to golf retreat packages
- An auction for a handcrafted gem necklace by designer Jessica Ricci
- A formal dinner with steak, fish, or vegetarian options
- Two bars, including non-alcoholic beverage options
If you are interested in attending BIARI’s Hidden Treasure Gala but do not have tickets, time hasn’t run out–to join us at BIARI’s Gala on September 28th, 2018, reserve your tickets here. Alternatively, tickets for the gala can be purchased at the door. If you are unable to attend this year’s gala but still want to make a difference, consider a donation to BIARI to help the organization continue its positive impact in Rhode Island.
We at Marasco & Nesselbush are proud to sponsor a wonderful organization with such an impactful cause and hope to see both new and familiar faces at tomorrow’s event.